29905560

I work large telecommunication company. I have

I work for a large telecommunication company. I have 3 young children and my dad helps me with childcare. Recently myvdad was diagnosed with a blocked artery and a bypass operation needs to be conducted in the next 10 days. My dad cant conduct childcare as cant drive so i requested temporary chnGe of hours at my work place for 12 weeks although this has ben agreed from th17 january my employer has said for the next 1 week i have to make other arrangements and if that means kids missing school so be it. I am quite shocked at this czn they do this.
In the interim I have been unwell and have had issues with my breast since 8 Dec and now have been referred to the breast clinic. I only took two days off work for this. I told my employer they are pushing me to a breakdown point and instead my manager replied ' do I know what a break down is??''
I ended up crying at work today because they were refusing to give me Saturday off even though I gave them options of giving me parental leave or I'll make the hours off. My request for Saturday off was because I hv a court order in place for my daughter to see her father and any dad cannot drive I need to take her. Where do I stand with my employer
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. How long have you worked there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

14 years

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I experienced some temporary connection issues and could not get back on the site until now. All appears to be resolved now so I can continue dealing with your query. The issue here is that even though the employer may be acting in a manner which is morally wrong, it would not necessarily be unlawful. When it comes to taking time off or changing your hours, the following rules apply:· Flexible working arrangements can be made if the employer agrees that they will work in the business – this has happened here but the changes do not come into effect until 17 January· Until the changes come into effect you are still required to undertake your normal contacted duties and hours· If you need to take time off during that time you can only do so in one of the following circumstances: as holidays, sick leave, with the consent of the employer or if it is to do with an emergency involving your child (it has to be something unexpected)· Any other leaves apart from the above will be treated as unauthorised absence from work and could result in you being disciplined So in the circumstances it is unfortunate that there is around a week where your new arrangements would not come into effect but that is allowed and in the meantime you only have a few options to take time off from work which may not unfortunately make it easy for you to do so. So you wither have to use one of these reasons as mentioned above or appeal to the employer. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi so if I took sick and my doctor signs me off can my employer conduct a disciplinary action because prior to sick I have requested time off and been refused. Can I get the sack

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
It wouldn't look good but it does not mean you will automatically get into trouble. For example, there could be circumstances where you are genuinely off sick so as long as you can show that it was a genuine case of sickness rather than an excuse to take the time off, you should be able to defend any action taken by the employer although they could still be sceptical about it. If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'