29905560

I'm employed full-time with a Mobile virtual network

Hi,I'm employed full-time with a Mobile virtual network operator, in the position of Web Developer. I would like to start my own company on the side and produce a web-based software product to sell. There are clauses in my contract regarding Intellectual Property Rights, and I would like to ensure that my own work will not become the property of the company.I have access to my own computer equipment and will only engage in this activity outside of work time and premises.I have attached scans of the relevant sections of my contract. Please let me know if you require any more information.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. I cannot see any documents attached - can you please try again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Ben,
There should be 3 png files attached to this comment.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** see two - pages 14 and 15
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi ben,I've re-attached page 16.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Under the circumstances it is highly unlikely that the company can lay claim to any work you have created on the side, whilst not undertaking the work or duties for this employer or using their premises, time or materials. These clauses are there to ensure that any IP rights for work undertaken whilst working for them vests with the company. It does not mean that all other work you do whilst employed by them will be claimed by them. You could continue to be employed by them but have side projects in your spare time and these will belong exclusively to you - the important thing is that it is done in your own time, not in connection with the work you do for this company or bu using their resources. As long as you stick to these rules then they cannot claim rights over this work. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'