29905560

I am a qualified profession but working minimum wage.

I am a qualified profession but working for the minimum wage. The company that I work for (on a zero hours contract) charge out my services at £42.00 per hour.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What is your query about this situation please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter has a degree and masters degree in conservation. She has found it difficult to find work because it is so competitive but now has. This is on a zero hour contract and on the minimum wage. She is being sent out to complete site visits which she is happy and qualified to do however the company charges £42.00 per hour for her services.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not believe this is ethical but am not aware if there is a law to protect her in this regard?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
There is unfortunately nothing illegal with this. It may be unethical as you have said, but certainly not unlawful. As long as she is paid at least the minimum wage and in accordance with her contract, it does not matter what the employer charges her time out to clients. Lawyers are in a similar situation – for example in my normal practice I would be on a salary, admittedly higher than the minimum wage, but my firm will charge my time out to clients at nearly £200/hr. I certainly do not see that money, I am paid my salary as per my contract and the employer will get the difference between what they charge me out for and what they pay me. This is just business, it is not illegal. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thats fine thank you, ***** ***** gives the explanation we were after
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. If your original question has been answered I would be grateful if you could please quickly rate my answer by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page - it only takes a second to do and is an important part of our process. I can still answer follow up questions afterwards if needed. Thank you