taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Hiya. Long story short i've worked with my company

Customer Question

Hiya.
Long story short i've worked with my company for approximately 8 years.
I've found out from another member of staff today that i'm currently being investigated for apparently having sex with another colleague in the back of the store whilst management haven't even approached me or my colleague directly yet.
Someone raised a grievance with my district manager raising the above and saying the person who actually told me knew about it and so she was questioned about it today.
Before i end up being dragged into an investigatory meeting i'd like advice on where to proceed. I've just returned from being off sick for over two months due to back issues and also found out people have been saying i'm apparently faking it just to take time off and honestly feel like i'm being victimized for doing so the week i return. Just to make it clear the allegation in question didn't occur.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is*****'m a solicitor and I'm happy to help you today. I understand you'd like advice on how to proceed but what specifically would you like to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'd like to know how to proceed with it, the fact that someones making false accusations in the work place to my manager and that two other colleges seem to know about this already without me even being aware, one of which has not been asked by management. I'd like to know is there a way i can raise a grievance myself against the person who has made such an accusation as i currently have no idea who it is and also if i requested a copy of any grievance would that be acceptable or even possible?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can raise a grievance at anytime you like if you have a problem at work. From a practical point of view it may make more sense to wait until you are told what the allegation against you is as then you will have more information about what has been said and by whom. At the moment you are relying on the word of a colleague so you cannot be 100% sure what they are saying is accurate.
There is no issue if you delay your grievance in this manner as you can raise a grievance even after you are made aware of a discplinary or an investigation by your employer.
Is there anything further you would like to know?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello do you have any further questions about this? If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Is there anyway i can request a copy of the grievance or anything else before it gets into the investigatory stage?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean the grievance that you think has been raised against you by the other member of staff?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes correct
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Please bear with me while I prepare a response.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
The employer cannot take action against you in the investigation meeting. There is no specific law which requires them to give you information in advance of an investigation meeting, although you must have the information in advance of a disciplinary meeting in which action could be taken against you. There is nothing wrong with you asking for this information though. If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello is there anything further you would like to know about this as I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?