taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

My name is***** my job role has been made redundant

Hi, my name is***** my job role has been made redundant & I'm now being asked to show somebody else what I do & I want to know where I stand regarding this. We have 3 manufacturing plants & they want to centralise planning for all 3 sites under one roof which is 70 miles away from where I currently work. The planning I do differs from the other 2 sites,but I now need to show them how we do things, any advice?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I'm happy to help you today. Were you offered the job at the other site?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I was offered an alternative job at the other site, which encompassed my existing role, which I turned down due to a 30% reduction in salary & the additional travel costs would have meant a further 10% reduction on top of that
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
So are you currently working your notice period? Are they planning on paying you redundancy pay when you finish?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, my employment ceases 5th February & I am receiving a redundancy package, I was employed for 33yrs
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Are you being asked to travel to a different place of work to deliver this training?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, they will come to me. I was sent an email at 12.43, I finish at 13.00, advising they would be over first thing on Monday morning to go through how I do the planning for our site
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Ok so your objection to it is that it means you cannot carry out your normal work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes & I also resent the fact the job role was deemed redundant, but I now have to show somebody else how to do it. The alternative role I was offered was due to somebody resigning at the other site & has been "padded" out to include the role I am being made redundant from
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
The problem with refusing is that you could theoretically put yourself at risk of disciplinary action for failing to follow a reasonable management instruction. I can really understand why you object but you have to consider whether it is worth that risk as technically that could be something they treat as amounting as gross misconduct and if they wanted to be difficult they may attempt to dismiss you for this and to refuse to pay redundancy pay. I am not sure that refusing is a good idea on that basis. There is nothing wrong with you objecting to it on the basis you can't get your own work done. But if they insist then you would really put yourself at risk. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.