taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

My employer wants to make my current post as deputy store

Hi, my employer wants to make my current post as deputy store manager redundant (I have been in post for 4 years and was previously store manager for 11 years but stepped down as I wanted to reduce my hours and they said I couldn't be store manager on less than 37 hours - so have 15 continuous years employment overall).
They want to introduce a 'Team Leader' post on much less pay and one flat rate of £7.20per hour with no pay scale or gradients that I can see (I'm currently on £9.75 per hour, which includes incremental increases over the years) but with the same responsibilities as the deputy post.
I cannot afford to finish work yet although I am 65 years but also can't afford to take such a pay cut. I have asked about pay scales/gradients within a post as they are stating that the £7.20 ph is the starting rate so think I should not be started at the bottom of the pay rate as I've have experience and have been with the Co. for the past 15 years but they say there is none so am assuming this is all they will offer.
I'm also therefore worried that if I refuse to accept it they will say I've refused a suitable alternative post and will then forfeit my rights to redundancy pay
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you the only person at risk of redundancy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there, in my store but I believe there are 8 of us accepted across the network of stores
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I meant affected!
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. A role with a significant pay drop would not amount to a suitable alternative employment. This means that if you do not want to take the other role then you are entitled to redundancy pay. If they refused to pay it you would be able to bring a claim in the employment tribunal to recover the redundancy pay. If there is anything further you would like to know please do let me know. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you that's great, one last question...if I accept rein dance or the new post how much notice should I have as they told us yesterday about the proposed changes but nothing is firmed up for sure...it's all presently been relayed to my by the store manager, following on from a meeting he attended on Friday. Therefore none of us affected have actually been formally consulted yet but they are looking to implement all of this on 1st April. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Again sorry I meant redundancy! Spellchecker!!
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Ok the consultation period should be at least 2 weeks and the notice on your role should be 12 weeks, so the earliest the redundancy should be would be 14 weeks from the first date of consultation. If you are offered an alternative role and accept it then it would be for an initial 4 week trial period, during which or immediately at the end of you could say you do not want to continue and still take redundancy pay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's brilliant thank you! Kind regards
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
No problem, I would be grateful if you would now take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise credited for my time. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello Pat is there anything further you would like to know as I can see you have not yet rated my answer which is an important part of the process?
taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters