taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I work at a senior level in a University. Recently, I felt

I work at a senior level in a University. Recently, I felt I had to resign, and did so, because the top team had placed me in an impossible position. Agreeing that I should announce a major procurement to the market and my team and then, just a few weeks later, withdrawing the funding - very damaging to my own reputation in my particular field as well as in my team.
Do I have any basis on which to seek compensation?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello Gerry my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long did you work at the university for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am still there but working out my notice. 2.5 years.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Have you raised a grievance about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have vigorously complained, in writing. But not a formal grievance per se.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Have you said you are leaving because of this decision?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Have you received a response? If so what is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's complicated. Invited to a series of meetings. I don't think the one person who had the ability to reverse the decision wanted to over-rule the (relatively newly appointed) individual who drove it.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
If a decision has been made by your employment that goes to the root of your contract and makes your continued employment untenable then you can claim constructive unfair dismissal. You would have to demonstrate the Employment Tribunal that you have tried to put matters right by raising a grievance (which you have done) and that you are placed in a position where there is no alternative but to resign. As you have done this then your next step is to raise early conciliation via Acas. You will find their details at www.acas.org.ukIf this does not result in a resolution then your next step would be the Employment Tribunal and you can lodge a claim at www.employmenttribunals.gov.ukIs there anything further you would like to know?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, thanks in terms of the process. I guess i was interested in getting a perspective on how likely such a course of action would be to succeed (given that I know it would be fairly painful and not reputation-enhancing in itself).
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
The key issue is whether it really does leave you with no alternative but to resign. It is difficult to assess as it would depend on the evidence presented to the employment tribunal. In the situation you describe it might depend on the reason for the withdrawal and whether it is reasonable for you to treat this as sufficient reason to resign.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
You have stated this would affect your reputation. If you can evidence this in real terms then this will support your claim.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do you mean by 'in real terms'? I'm not sure how I can demonstrate it, even though I know it!
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
One way would be by producing witness statements of how it might affect the opinions of others towards you.
taratill, Solicitor
Experience: 15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I could probably arrange that.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
The fact is that if you are at the stage where you have genuinely needed to resign there is simply nothing to lose by at least starting the ACAS conciliation process. This might result in a settlement. If not then maybe try to arrange a free initial consultation with an employment solicitor. Many thanks for your rating. All the best.