29905560

While I'm not a working mum I am a working dad. My

Customer Question

Hello. While I'm not a working mum I am a working dad. My partner and I work together to ensure childcare for our daughter (5 years) while both of us work. My partner works nights in a nursing home for the elderly and myself at a housing assoc. for the elderly.
I have just been informed that my division of 5 people will be restructured due to government funding being reduced. The company I work for believe that restructuring will enable them to get more funding.
My job title at present is care and support worker.
The new jobs as follows:
Job 1. Housing services coordinator X 2
Job 2. Support worker X 2 1/2.
The housing services coordinator is similar to what I already do. The support worker is basically a cleaner and removals person.
There are 5 staff and we all obviously want the housing services coordinator position. I believe the support worker position is an inferior position as well as a demotion. While our contract at present state "anything else deemed required" and could have included a bit of vacuuming etc, this is very rare. The new position of support worker would include cleaning etc tenants property's everyday.
Even though I will apply for the Housing services coordinator, I do not believe I will get the position as there is, favourites in our department, an issue I have bought up in the past and was not appreciated for.
There is the same jobs in surrounding areas but would not enable myself and my partner to be able to provide adequate care for our daughter as I would have to travel further.
If I do not get the chosen job, do I have to accept the support worker position, and if I don't accept this job will I be intentionally making myself unemployed? And, are they allowed to do this?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
How long have you worked there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Please confirm you are still going to answer this enquiry?