29905560

Hii have been off sick weeks as i have breast inflamation

Customer Question

hi
i have been off sick for two weeks as i have breast inflamation and inflamation under my arms the painkillers have been gven to me but give me a side effect of nausea and dizziness. my doctor has agreed to signe me off another 2 weeks. i spoke with my manager and she said that she now has to pass it to level 2 to reviw and i will recieve a visit from the centre manager. i felt indirectly i was being threatened to come into work or they will get rid of me.
if my doctor is signing me off can my employers sack me.
i have been with my company for 14 years and taken 6 sicks in 14 years in which 2 were pregnancy related.
i have never triggered any warnings i am confused why she is escalating it.
spoke to my colleagues who have been on long term sick and they have never been told of a centre manager visiting
i work in a call centre
please advise can they sack me even though i am signed off by my doctor and my blood test hv confrmed i am an emic
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Do you have previous warnings about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no i have not triggered a warning at work for my sick and my recent blood test confirms i am anemic which supports me stating i am dizzy.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Dismissing an employee due to sickness absence is a potentially fair reason for dismissal under the Employment Rights Act 1996 as it would amount to a capability or even a misconduct issue. However, to justify it as being fair the employer needs to follow a fair procedure and act reasonably. First and foremost the employer needs to comply with any workplace sickness absence procedures and policies. For example these could list the number or duration of absences before formal action is taken. In any event, when considering the fairness of the employer's actions, a tribunal would usually look at the following factors:· Did the employer investigate the nature, extent and likely duration of any illness and consult the employee in the process· If absences are short-term and intermittent, investigating whether there is any underlying cause (medical or otherwise). If necessary, follow a capability or disciplinary procedure instead, offering practical guidance and assistance, setting timescales for improvement, and giving warnings where appropriate. Only continuous absences should threaten dismissal.· Before deciding to dismiss, consider surrounding circumstances, age and length of service of employee together with action taken in respect of similar situations in the past.· Consider importance of employee and/or the post occupied to the business, the impact their continued absence is having on the business and the difficulty and cost of continuing to deal with their absence.· Consider whether the employee could take up alternative employment or whether there are any other options that would avoid the need for dismissal. Dismissal must always be viewed as a last resort by the employer. So I would not worry about them going straight for that now as if they do, it is unlikely to be deemed fair. Only when it is obvious that the employee cannot continue in their job and that there was nothing else available for them to do would dismissal become a fair option. The courts have held that an important consideration is whether any reasonable employer would have waited longer in the circumstances before dismissing the employee. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the extra protection you may get if you are classified as disabled, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you you have given an excellent explanation

please can you now state the detailed advice for disabled

thanks

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. As mentioned, it is also important to consider the additional rights someone would have if the condition that is affecting them amounts to a 'disability'. This can have a broad meaning and there is no single list of conditions that amount to a disability under law. Instead, to establish whether a person is disabled, they need to show they satisfy the legal definition of ‘disability’.
The Equality Act 2010 defines a disability as a “physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities”.
I will break this definition down:
• Physical or mental impairment – this can include nearly any medical condition;
• Substantial effect – the effect must be more than minor or trivial;
• Long-term - the effect of the impairment must either have lasted or be likely to last for at least 12 months;
• Normal day-to-day activities – these could include anything considered ‘normal’ in a person's normal daily routine (e.g. walking, driving, speaking, eating, washing, etc.)
If a person satisfies the above criteria, they will be classified as being disabled and will have automatic protection against discrimination, which means that they must not be treated unfavourably because of their disability. In addition, their employer would have a duty to make reasonable adjustments if they are likely to be placed at a substantial disadvantage when compared to non-disabled employees.
So in summary, if the employer has not taken time to investigate the true medical position, whether suitable employment was available and generally considered the effects the employee's continued absence would have on the business, any dismissal could potentially be unfair. In addition, if they have failed to make reasonable adjustments in the event the employee's condition amounted to a disability, this could also amount to disability discrimination.