taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I worked as a teacher years then took on a job with

I worked as a teacher for 14 years then took on a job with a teacher trade union with less than 4 weeks break in between. Is my continuity of service preserved? Is a teacher trade union an associated employer for an employee moving from teaching?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Are you trying to preserve continuity of employment for redundancy law purposes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am having issues at work and is currently signed off sick so I want to know my sick pay entitlement
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks, ***** ***** in connection with Statutory Sick Pay or the employer's own scheme?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Statutory. Given that I have only worked for the union since April 13 2015
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also suffer from a condition specifically covered under the equality act from the point of diagnosis.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
I am afraid to say that this would not class as an associated employer such as to preserve continuity. In the context of schools you may be able to foster an argument that a move between 2 schools within the same LEA (the same employer) would preserve continuity but a move from a school to an external employer (a trade union) would not as the 'employer' is not the same or associated in the same way. With regards ***** ***** disability point, the fact you have a condition covered by the Equality Act does not automatically entitle you to SSP where a non disabled person would not be so entitled. Is there anything further you would like to know about this? I am sorry that this is not the answer you were hoping for. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer as I am not otherwise paid for the time I have spent answering your question. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your rating and all the best.