29905560

We are employing some unpaid interns few months.

Hi We are employing some unpaid interns for a few months. They have asekd if we pay for lunch and travel. Can we do this? if we just pay lunch or travel is this viewed as a type of renumeration/compensation? is there a risk re employment status.Please let me know of any risks here and if we should pay for lunch and travel or would be advised not toThanks
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Are you in the UK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes uk
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you need any more information
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi would you be bale to provide an answer today?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I lost my connection.
I am in a low coverage area. If you could give me about an hour I will be at a fixed point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No problem at allThanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I have been asked to assist with this as my colleague is having some connection issues. Under law you are not obliged to pay them for lunch or for travel. You are of course free to do so but it is done entirely at your own discretion. If by paying for lunch you mean that you are just covering their food expenses rather than paying for the time they take to have lunch, then there is no issue with that. It just means you are paying them expenses in a way and the same goes for travel. This will not in itself create any assumption that they are employees that’s not going to be a risk in that respect. So you are allowed to just meet the basic expenses incurred in providing lunch and their travel if you wanted to and the should be no risks in doing so.
I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'