29905560

Help please. I have had 2 days off sick in the last 2 months

Help please. I have had 2 days off sick in the last 2 months Both times have been due to pain from extensive dental treatment, I have been offered a new job and was going to hand in notice on Monday 4 weeks required, I have doctor and dentist appointment on Monday employer is aware of my appointments. As I expect my doctor to declare me not fit to work for 2-4 weeks I will still hand in my notice as planned as I am entitled to sick pay and then just leave at the end of my notice period .I am genuinely not well Not trying to mislead anyone, can my employer disclose my sick record to my new employer on my reference as 3 times in 3 months really looks bad .should I just be honest and inform my new employer of the situation, don't want to end up with no job at all
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello how long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
13 yrs
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I experienced some temporary connection issues and could not get back on the site until now. All appears to be resolved now so I can continue dealing with your query. It is indeed possible for the current employer to include details of your sickness absence record in a reference to the new employer. Of course there is no guarantee that it will happen but the risk is there. They have a duty to only include factual and honest matters in a reference so if they felt it necessary to include that information, there is nothing stopping them as long as it reflects what actually happened. However, it does depend on the employer – some may not see this as an issue which needs to be discussed, others may feel the need to include it – impossible to predict really which camp this employer falls into. Whilst on paper 3 times in 3 months may not look that great, you have to remember that this is not a long-term ongoing problem and it has only come about as a result of treatment you have recently received. This is unlikely to carry on for a long period and cause you may more absences so the new employer should take that into account. You may indeed wish to discuss this with them in advance so that they are not surprised in the event it is mentioned on a reference and make it clear that you have just had this dental work done and it has affected you worse than usual hence why you had to take time off but it is not a long-term and ongoing issue which will be cause for persistent absences in the future. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you