29905560

I was informed that my employers received a anonymous letter

i was informed that my employers received a anonymous letter with an allegation made against me of inappropriate behaviour which i clearly stated was a complete false allegation.
It is now filed and told they believe me and no further action is to be taken. They did not go into detail nor presented me with a copy. I didn't asked for a copy either
My issue is what rights do I have given the serious nature of the letter albeit anonymous as I feel my character has come into question here. It's also knocked me a bit that someone could put forward such an allegation
Any advice would be appreciated
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
How can I help with this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are my rights based on the question I asked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've had a rather sleepless night with a potential colleague or student accusing me in an anonymous letter of inappropriate behaviour which is entirely false. While my employer has said it is end of matter it has caused me a bit of stress and worry that someone could make such a claim and try to ruin my character this way
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** my colleague has asked me to assist with your query as it is more my area of law. The important thing is that no action is being taken by the employer. I understand that you wish to do something about the fact that such a complaint was made against you in the first place but the first difficulty you will face in doing this is that the complaint was anonymous. Unless you know who has made the complaint, it would be impossible to take any action against them. You may try and get a copy of the complaint to try and work out who may have sent it but again that will only lead to speculation, not facts. If you do eventually find out who made the complaint, whilst this may appear to be a potential case of defamation (this includes libel if it is in written form, or slander if it is in oral form), such claims are extremely difficult to pursue. Many people are intent on suing for defamation without having any appreciation of the law behind them, so I will try and clear things up for you now. First of all, certain conditions must be met for the statement to be classified as defamatory. These are: 1. The statement has to be untrue.2. It must directly identify the complainant.3. It must have been published, usually communicated to at least another person.4. It must be in a form of words, which would tend to lower the claimant in the estimation of ‘right thinking members of society generally', expose the claimant to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or cause the claimant to be shunned or avoided.5. Its publication has caused or is likely to cause serious harm to the reputation of the claimant. Whilst it may be easy to prove that defamation has occurred, the legal process of pursuing such a claim is extremely complex and expensive. As this goes through the High Court, you would need the professional help of specialist defamation solicitors and the costs are undoubtedly going to run into the thousands right at the outset. Also there is no legal aid available for such claims so the complainant must fund these personally. So when you hear about defamation claims being made, these are usually pursued by big corporations or celebrities who have a public image to protect. You must also consider whether the party alleged of making the defamatory statement can defend the claim. Even if you satisfy the criteria to prove the statement was defamatory it could be defended on a number of grounds, including by providing evidence that the statement was substantially true or an honest opinion. There is of course nothing stopping you from contacting the other party and threatening them that what they have done amounts to defamation and that you will consider pursuing the matter further if they do not retract their statement. This could prompt them to reconsider their position, but I would not recommend that you actually proceed with a claim for defamation due to the issues highlighted above. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for getting back to me and another quick point before I submit the 3, 4 or 5 you asked me to add.I received a copy of the hand written letter from our chief executive and I'm in shock with the allegations made against me. It states that I've sexually abused and physically abused this person who is a student. I have no contact with students in any way hence why I can't understand why this accusation has been made. There is no signature in the letter. I've been told again it's the end of the matter and that it has no bearing on my current job and to put it down to someone simply having a swipe at me for whatever reason. I guess what you are telling me is to put it behind me given it will be impossible to identify the person. I'm guessing there is no merit in raising this with the police for the very same reasons other than to lodge a complaint?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, yes this is basically what I was getting at because this would have been an issue if you job was affected by it, for example they decided to dismiss you or even mention it in a future reference, none of which will happen. You have nothing to lose by contacting the police as this was clearly an untrue and malicious statement but do not expect them to start investigating his to try and find out who made it, such as fingerprints, handwriting examination etc. Without any leads at all this is unlikely to be pursued by them, especially as generally it has put an end to this matter. I fully empathise that it is difficult to just lay this to rest when you know there is someone out there who has said this and has not been dealt with but at the same time you have to be realistic and accept that tracking them down is not going to be easy at all, may even be impossible so you have to appreciate that it has not impacted you in a way that it could have and that could have been much, much worse. Hope this clarifies?
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your help, much appreciated.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, all the best