29905560

I get a job with a new company and heard nothing from them

Customer Question

I get a job with a new company and heard nothing from them for 3 and half weeks so i emailed them asking when my first shirt would be and waited another 2 weeksI decided to quit once i was received a reply. Now they are asking me to pay back £40 for a food hygiene certificate i had to do to be bale to work there.Can they legally do this, without letting me no.I was never given a contract, asked for my bank details, passport checked or even told i would wait over 5 weeks to get my first shift
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Were you ever told that you had to pay back thee costs at any point?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i was not
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Only now am i being asked to pay the cost back, i only quit due to lack of contact with me and having to wake 5 weeks for a reply to get my first shift after i accepted the job
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I presume they are asking you to voluntarily pay them this money - they do not owe you any money from which they can deduct these costs?