29905560

I am 68 years old and worked and is still working as a part-time

Customer Question

I am 68 years old and worked and is still working as a part-time residential porter, one week on, 07:30 to 15:30, Monday - Friday, one week off. My employment started in June 2013. The second porter retired in November 2015 and I was covering his shifts on an overtime basis. I also covered his shift before this when he had his knee replacement operation. The property managing agent lost thier contract in January 2015 and another property managing company took over. But the porters were managed by a separate small company since January 2015. Now the second property managing agent has lost their contract and another property managing company is taking over. A small company that managers porters notified me on 1.02.16 that my job has been made redundant as it will be replaced by a full-time job with working hours 08:00 to 17:00 and that they have no job for me. They said that I can apply for the full time job, and I did apply. But the job description was sent to me only on 4.02.16 on my request. It is obvious for me that the small company does not want me in the job. Are their actions lawful ? They never did any appraisals and I don/t know what are their criteria for job selection. It seems to me that the company wants to place in the post thier own person. Possibly I am too old for them, etc.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 9 months ago.
Were you the only person made redundant?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
there are 19 flats in the block. I am the only porter in the building. So as far as I am aware, I am the only one who has been made redundant in this block of flats. The company who managers the porters is called The Bundles LTD, a very small company, and I understand that they want to replace me with their own porter.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The letter said: Further to our meeting earlier today I am writing to confirm that Bundle Services Ltd are giving you two months notie as per your contract of employment, due to the current role you perform at Whitehall flats will no longer be in force from the 31st March 2016. Bundle Services Ltd confirms that unfortunately we are unable to redeploy you within the company, as it currently does not have another role that is similar to offer you. However, I am writing to confirm that you are eligible to apply for the new role that is going to be in force from the 1st April 2016 and your application will be considered along all other applications. For your reference, should you be unsuccessful in being awarded the new full time role, as discussed, the last day of your employment with us will be the Thursday 31st March 2016. If this is the case, you will be entitled to statutory redundancy in line with current legislation.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The directors of the residents association live in the flats. When I sent an e-mail to the Bundles, and copied it to the director, he said that he has nothing to do with this, that it is between me and the Bundles.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** my colleague has asked me to assist with your query as it is more my area of law. Who is actually your employer? Was it the porter managing company which took over in Jan 2105? Are they the ones giving you notice now?