taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Can we advertise a vacancy and ask native English

Hi Can we advertise a vacancy and ask for a native English Speaker
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am an employment lawyer and I am happy to help you today. Is there anything about the job that means that it is essential that the person is a native English speaker?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No just needs to have excellent English, but a lot of people who are applying speak English but as they are nto native speakers it makes the role difficult. but No GENINUE Occupational Qualification
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hi unfortunately if you advertise on this basis if there is no genuine occupational qualification requirement for the role then you are exposing yourself to claims of discrimination based on nationality/ race.The position on this is quite clear and it extends to advertising positions.I would avoid using this wording in the circumstances.Is there anything further you would like to know?If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.