29905560

I'm looking advice, my employer is making me redundant,

Customer Question

hi I'm looking for some advice, my employer is making me redundant, i have only been with the company 11 months, they have offered me a redundancy package which was basically my notice period and benefits paid for the 3 month period. they have offered a alternative role which i have to apply however its a 30k drop in salary. the provisional offer on 3 months notice has now been changed to one month due to the initial employment contract showing one month, i was told at the beginning of employment that this was a standard contract and due to my position after a 6 month period i would need to give 3 months notice. where do i stand as the company is insisting they only pay one month as per contract even though they have offered 3 month in previous e-mail.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Did you formally accept the offer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi Ben , which offer? i can't see the answer to my question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i only need an answer to this question not a subscription,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do i have to do to get the answer i don't seem to be able to read it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry got it now , no I didn't it's still on the table but only with s one months notice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi are you there?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Yes still here, just need to get my response ready
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
The starting point is that they will only have to pay you what is in your contract. In your case that is a month’s notice. If they wanted to they could have made an improved offer, for example increasing the notice period. This is done entirely at their discretion. An offer is not legally binding until it has been accepted by the other side. So if they made the offer but you did not accept it and were still thinking about it, then in the meantime they retracted the original offer, you cannot pursue them for the original offer. An offer is just an offer – it can be withdrawn at any time, unless already accepted. So if you cannot shoe that their original offer was accepted by you, then unfortunately you are not legally able to hold them to it. As long as they pay you what you are due under contract, they can change the offer as many times as they want subject to you accepting it. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.