29905560

I am a teacher, I wanted to raise a grievance with regard to

Customer Question

I am a teacher, I wanted to raise a grievance with regard to the head teacher but there was no grievance policy in the staffroom folder. I therefore wrote a letter outlining my concerns to the Chair of governors.
The chair has written back advising that he will not accept the grievance in it's current form (ie. a letter of complaint).
Could you please advise me as to whether a letter of complaint constitutes a grievance.
Kind Regards
Celene
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 1 year ago.
How long have you worked there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
8 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am currently in dispute with the school, and to be honest they are being, in my opinion deliberately obstructive. I just wondered what the actual law states with regards ***** ***** can be classed as a grievance. I would appreciate it if you could possibly point me in the direction of where to find the legal definition of a grievance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I've not heard anything back from you and I have to go out. If you respond I'm afraid I will not be able to reply until tomorrow.
Kind Regards
Celene.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** my colleague has asked me to assist with your query as it is more my area of law. There is no formal legal definition of a grievance as such. However, a good starting point is to look at the ACAS Code on Disciplinary and Grievance which employers are required to follow in such situations. The Code can be found here: http://www.acas.org.uk/media/pdf/f/m/Acas-Code-of-Practice-1-on-disciplinary-and-grievance-procedures.pdf It states that “Grievances are concerns, problems or complaints that employees raise with their employers”. As to how to deal with a grievance, it states: “If it is not possible to resolve a grievance informally employees should raise the matter formally and without unreasonable delay with a manager who is not the subject of the grievance. This should be done in writing and should set out the nature of the grievance”. So if you have a concern, problem or complaint which you want the employer to deal with and you raise it in writing with a member f management then this should be treated as a grievance. You can even spell it out to them and state that you are raising a grievance with your letter. So in the circumstances your grievance should not have been rejected as you have followed the ACAS Code and there is no other policy which you would have been expected to follow instead. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ben, that has helped me a lot. I was going round in circles looking for the actual legislation. As it happens I did ask the Chair of governors to treat my letter as a grievance and add it to previous letters of complaint. Do you think I should ask the Chair of Governors to reconsider my letter as a grievance or should I write it all out again on the official grievance form I received with his refusal.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Yes certainly ask them to reconsider this and point them to the ACAS Code, but if there is a formal form they expect you to fill in just use that as then they cannot reject to consider it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again!
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome