29905560

I have a member of staff that has been off as follows: 12th,

I have a member of staff that has been off as follows:
12th, 13th and 14th April - Sickness, I have paid this at the normal rate
15th and 18th April - Annual Leave
Any extra sickness they may take next week I want to pay only at SSP rate (the previous days paid at full pay were discretionary)
How do I go about this, does it start as a new period of sickness from 19th due to the annual leave in the middle
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What does your sickness policy say?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sickness policy is ssp only but I paid the first three days last week at full rate at my discretion ... This was then followed by friday and tomorrow as leave ... If there is any further sick days next week i will not be paying full rate so want to know when/how to calculate ssp for the extra days
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The first three days in a period of absence are not eligible for SSP anyway so you do not take these into account. If they then went off on annual leave but were still sick, then you should offer them the chance to reschedule those days to a time when they are not ill, but if they wanted to they could retain them and be paid their normal pay for those days. Whatever they choose, it does not affect their entitlement to SSP in the coming week. If they continue being off sick from Tuesday onwards, then that would be the fourth day in the absence period and SSP would then become payable. The current rate is £88.45 a week, payable on the days the employee would normally work. So if next week they would have only worked 4 days because of the annual leave day, you divide £88.45 by 4 and then pay that for each day they are sick, meaning it would be £22.11 per day. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.