taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Is there a possibility of being able to delay an investigation

Is there a possibility of being able to delay an investigation meeting due to being unable to get legal advice and obtain a trade union representative due to the short notice I was given?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked for the employer for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have worked for them for around 7 and a half years
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Is this an investigation meeting rather than a disciplinary hearing? Do you know what it is for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it's an investigation meeting as they had concerns regarding my integrity
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks you can certainly ask for them to delay it but they are not legally obliged to do so. The employer does not have to give you the right to be accompanied at an investigation meeting, as disciplinary action cannot be taken at that meeting . The purpose of an investigation meeting is to determine whether to proceed to a disciplinary or not. You do have the right to be accompanied at any disciplinary hearing that you might be asked to attend. If there is a particular reason that you need representation such as if you have a disaibility then the employer would have to let you have representation as a reasonable adjustment. Is there anything further you would like to know? If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.