taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

Can a teacher in a contract be asked to take a 10% pay cut

Customer Question

can a teacher in a contract be asked to take a 10% pay cut
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I work for a SChool Academy for 4 years
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
What reason are they asking you to take this cut Sarah?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to help balance the school budget - they have not asked yet but there are rumours that this is what will happen - I am not overly worried and quite happy to agree but just wanted to check this is something the Academy are allowed to ask
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
hi there is no reason they should not ask you to take the cut. If you are willing to take it then it will be an agreed variation to your terms and conditions of employment. If you do not agree it then they can give notice of a change in terms and conditions (which will be your contractual notice) and you will have to decide whether you are prepared to work under the new terms (reduced salary) or not. If you do not wish to do so then this is effectively a resignation and you could claim unfair dismissal if you believe the reduction in pay is an unfair change in terms. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sarah is there anything further you would like to know?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sarah if I have answered your question I would be really grateful if you would rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise paid for my time. I will be happy to answer any follow on questions you may have. Thank you and all the best.