taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

During a probation period (3 months) is it legal employer

During a probation period (3 months) is it legal for an employer to terminate an employment contract after two months simply because the employee has fallen ill and has been signed off work for two or three weeks by a doctor?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. What was the nature of the illness?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hurt my back, possible slipped disk? is much better now, although not 100% fit, ( job is predominantly clerical)
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks how long has this injury lasted for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure what happend then.... your site flashed someting up while i was typing.I was off for 2 1/2 weeks (with a drs Note) befor i recieved a letter letting me go.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Ok the employer can dismiss for any reason so long as it does not amount to discrimination contrary to the Equality Act which could be on the grounds of your sex, age, race, religion, disability or for raising a health and safety complaint. This means that you can be dismissed even if the illness is genuine. This is the case unless it is for a disability related injury. A back injury can amount to a disability but only if it is likely to last more than 12 months, which does not seem to be the case here. I therefore do not think there is much you can do. You should have been paid notice pay and holiday pay. If you have any questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would be so kind as to rate my answer. Thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. thanks :(
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
No problem I am sorry it was not the answer you wanted to receive. I would be really grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer before leaving the site as I am not otherwise credited for my time.