taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I have recently tendered my resignation, my original contract

I have recently tendered my resignation, my original contract of employment stated I need to give 4 weeks notice but during an annual performance appraisal in 2014 I was advised I would receive a salary increase and in line with this my notice period would be increase to 2 months - I have nothing in writing confirming this.
My employer is now sticking to the 4 week notice although I need the 2 months to apply according to my understanding of what was in place - where do I stand on this?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today. Was there nothing in writing about this, such as in the notes of the appraisal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid there was nothing in writing, no meeting minutes - and no confirmation received following the meeting.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brett have you raised a grievance about this with the employer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting for them to query it after only having handed in my notice today - they have commented to colleagues that they are not sure why I think I am on 2 month notice period and they'll be taking it up with me but nothing has been mentioned to me yet - hence me wanting to get some advice before the inevitable discussions later this afternoon.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Ok if this was verbally agreed then you are contractually entitled to 2 months notice. If the employer denies that this was verbally agreed then it would come down to your word against theirs as to what was agreed. I would suggest you tell your employer who and when said this and tell the that a verbal agreement is as good as a written contract. Hopefully they will not then try to hold you the four weeks. If they do you can raise a complaint (early conciliation) with ACAS and lodge a claim in the employment tribunal for breach of contract.