29905560

Would there be a legal issue with requesting written feedback

Would there be a legal issue with requesting written feedback (positive and negative) on an employee from all of his/her co-workers in the company as part of an annual review process?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Please can you advise, what you would be hoping to achieve in the circumstances please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is not me, but the feedback will be used to inform the employee's annual review process by their manager, which will, potentially, impact the employee's salary increase and/or bonus amount for the year.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the background on your case. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for your patience. Legally there is nothing stopping an employer from seeking such feedback. Often, feedback may be sought from the person’s managers or superiors as they would have some knowledge which may not be immediately evident and which may be relevant t that person’s appraisal. I would be slightly wary with seeking feedback from their peers if this was going to impact their salary increase or bonus entitlement. There could be issues of competition, personal dislike, etc which may prompt the peers to provide feedback which may not necessarily be favourable to the employee in question. So they could end up suffering detrimentally as a result. Unless there are known issues, I would use such feedback simply to form a general opinion on this person’s work ethic and to be able to deal with any issues, but I would not directly use it to determine their salary increase or bonus. I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.