29905560

What rights do I have as an employee suffering from mental

Customer Question

What rights do I have as an employee suffering from mental health issues?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Have you been experiencing any difficulties with your employer?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have been signed off work for depression. I had very little support from work during this time. I have now been told that I could be dismissed for this. Do I have a case?
Thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you
Many thanks for your patience. Capability, where an employee is unable to perform their job due to ill health, is a potentially fair reasons for dismissing an employee under the Employment Rights Act 1996. The definition of ‘capability’ includes competence (skill and aptitude), health (any mental/physical quality) and qualifications. Whether a capability dismissal is fair will depend on the particular circumstances and the procedure that was followed. The employer needs to show they had reasonable grounds to believe that the employee was incapable of performing their job and that nothing further could be done to assist them. In the end they need to show that dismissal was a reasonable decision to take. The courts have held that an important consideration is whether any reasonable employer would have waited longer in the circumstances before dismissing the employee. When looking at the reasonableness of such a dismissal, the tribunal will usually look at the following elements:· What was the nature of the illness· Was the employee consulted over their position and did the employer try to ascertain the true medical position· What was the likelihood of the employee returning to work or the illness reoccurring in the future· The effect a prolonged absence would have on the business and the workforce· The availability of other suitable employment that the employee could do instead Dismissal must always be viewed as a last resort by the employer. Only when it is obvious that the employee cannot continue in their job and that there was nothing else available for them to do would dismissal become a fair option. It is also important to consider the additional rights someone would have if the condition that is affecting them amounts to a 'disability' because if they are classified as disabled they will have automatic protection under discrimination laws. This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the ways you can establish if you are disabled and also how to challenge any potential dismissal, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
My response should be visible on this page. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So mental health is not a disability?
It certainly can be, but it depends on various other factors. As mentioned, I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the ways you can establish if you are disabled and also how to challenge any potential dismissal, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there I no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you
Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.