29905560

On changing one job 4 days prior to starting I

Customer Question

on changing one job for another 4 days prior to starting I was told they had changed their minds and it was only a three months contract. What are my right on this i have left a job where I was for ten years
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello did the initial contract you were given have a notice period for termination?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
The issue here is that if you have been continuously employed at this place of work for less than 2 years then your employment rights will unfortunately be somewhat limited. Most importantly, you will not be protected against unfair dismissal. This means that your employer can dismiss you (basically terminate your contract) for more or less any reason, and without following a fair procedure, as long as their decision is not based on discriminatory grounds (i.e. because of gender, race, religion, age, a disability, sexual orientation, etc.) or because you were trying to assert any of your statutory rights (e.g. requesting maternity/paternity leave, etc.). If the termination had nothing to do with any of the above exceptions then you would not be able to challenge it and your only protection would be if you were not paid your contractual notice period, because unless you were dismissed for gross misconduct, you would be entitled to receive your contractual notice period. If you did not have a written contract in place you would be entitled to the minimum statutory notice period of 1 week. Your employer would either have to allow you to work that notice period and pay you as normal, or they will have to pay you in lieu of notice. So in effect they could offer you a permanent job and at any time within the first two years terminate that contract simply by giving you the required notice. They could then offer you a different contract, such as the 3-month one, or simply not re-employ you at all. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not quite sure you understood the question
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
ok if you wish to clarify plese then I can help further as needed, thanks