29905560

Please, Please help me. I feel so desperate. I have worked

Customer Question

Please, Please help me. I feel so desperate. I have worked in senior managerial roles for most of my working life.
I work as a Practice Manager in a GP Surgery having never worked in this role before. I had been asked to take the job because the practice at the time (Sept 2014) was in dire straights and one of my set of skills is troubleshooting and man management. I accepted the role explaining that I had very little financial management experience.
I had no hand over, except for a retired previous Practice Manager doing the payroll for and with me on 3 occasions.
I did the payroll without incident until September 2015 when, because of 2 Doctors being on Maternity leave, I recognized that it would be better for the practice if we outsourced the payroll, which we did.
We had a new partner start in December 2014.
My relationship with all the staff and doctors has been excellent and I have introduced lots of new policies, working objectives, I have had no negative feedback.
The practice financials are volatile and have been ever since I started but last week the practice bank account showed a large overdraft. As always I emailed the partners telling them the situation. Understandably they went into melt down. Very quickly an extension on the bank overdraft facilities was agreed.
Since being in this job I have asked the partners to sit with me and check the accounts/payroll/expenditure. i have constantly asked for Partners meetings the most recent was for tomorrow, But usually they can't make it - I've had 5 meetings since I've been here.
On receiving the news about the overdraft one of the partners asked for numerous reports, all of which are available and in files for the doctors on a monthly basis. Having read the file she asked to sit with me while I do the payroll. I embraced this.
Whilst doing the payroll we discovered that one of the salaried GP's had not had the accurate amount deducted from her pay for her pension. I accept this is serious and I accept this is something that should have been noticed but I only knew what I knew - with no training, no support or guidance it feels inevitable that a mistake was going to happen.
We are working through a solution to the error however I am being treated appallingly. I am being undermined and ignored. There is no connection between the overdraft and the pension error.
The atmosphere in the practice is awful and I obviously have a desire to leave but at the same time want to sort out the problem that I have been party to creating but if the continue to be so rude and nasty to me I will not be able to stay.
What should I do?
Thank you in anticipation.
Sharon Nolan
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive a contract after taking on the position of Practice Manager?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry for the delay in responding to you - yes I did receive a contract but no job description. I received that a year later and I wrote it!