29905560

Jones. I own a Barber Shop in a market town with 2

Customer Question

For Ben Jones. I own a Barber Shop in a market town with 2 female staff who my late husband and I employed shortly after we took over the business in late 1997. We invested in the business although not barbers ourselves when my husband was made redundant. Both girls along with a part timer who was employed by the previous owner doubled the turnover over time and the business ran smoothly for many years. The part timer became seriously ill and eventually left and we were unable to find a suitable replacement so the staff was reduced to 2 full timers and eventually the younger one got married and had a family so opted to work a 4 day wk which left the remaining full timer very hard worked. The younger married one has called all the shots as to time off because "her family came first " The remaining full timer has had to fit her holidays around the younger one every year since and unbeknown to us would leave 2 hrs early to pick the children up from school so automatically got paid! She also demanded lieu days for the days when the full timer took her holidays so the full timer spent much of the year working on her own.
Over the last 16 months business has been suffering financially due to competition from new barber shops. I therefore drafted new ground rules limiting lieu days to 6 per annum. I called attention to the fact we were losing business as clients did not wait around with only 1 hairdresser and it certainlying was not fair on the remaining member of staff. It wasn't an unpleasant letter but was just stating the facts. She has turned nasty and unco-operative regarding the other girl's holidays so my question is Do I not have any right to try and safeguard the businews?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. What are you hoping achieve in the circumstances?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - What are you hoping achieve in the circumstances?