29905560

I was initially employed on a six month contract through an

I was initially employed on a six month contract through an agency with an employer. I have now been working for the same company for two years and seven months and have been told that the position is ending at the end of May. Do I have any rights regarding redundancy?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
Did you get taken on directly by the company or did you continue working through the agency?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've continued to work for the agency but was asked if I wanted to work direct around five months ago. I said would didn't want to work for them but that I would be a contractor but they never came back to me.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.
You will only be entitled to redundancy and also protection against unfair dismissal if you were an employee of the company. If you continued working through the agency and were effectively an agency worker then unfortunately you will not be entitled to either. So you will have to demonstrate that you had at least 2 years' continuous service as a permanent employee of the company, not working as an agency worker or a contractor. In the circumstances it would not appear that you can meet these criteria. I'm sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you were hoping for, however I do have a duty to be honest and explain the law as it actually stands. This does mean delivering bad news from time to time. I hope you understand and would be happy to provide any further clarification if needed. If you are still satisfied with the level of service you have received I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts at the top of the page. Thank you