chatham-chamber
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience:  LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
12179604

I have been given directions by the court and I need

I have been given directions by the court and I need clarification. Can you please help?
Expert:  chatham-chamber replied 1 year ago.
Hi,What would you like assistance with?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I am on a dispute over a contract which the company I worked for is refusing to pay me. The case has gone to fast track and will he heard on a trial in October 2016. I was given a few directions and I was hoping you would be kind enough to assist me in understanding them.I was given four directionsThe first direction is:"by 4pm 14th June both parties must give to each other Standard disclosure of documents by list."From what I understand is that, I need to disclose the list of documents which I will submit as evidence to the court?For instance:1)Contract as signed by all parties
2)Bank Statements
and so on?Can I serve to the defendant a normal letter such as stating:"pursuant to the order as given by the District Judge Smith I am sending you disclosure of documents..' etc.Or do I have to download a specific form in order to send the standard disclosure of documents?
Hi,The standard disclosure needs to be given on the disclosure form which you can download from the court service website. You can also obtain it at the following link: http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/HMCTS/GetForm.do?court_forms_id=521Once this has been sent across, the direction would have been complied with.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Kind regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for your answer, it is very helpful.The directions were four in number, the additional directions were:__________________________________________________________________________________________________2)"Both parties must serve on each other copies of the signed statements of themselves and of all witnesses on whom
they intent to rely and all notices relating to evidence , including Civil Evidence Act Notices."By Singed statements, I understand that I will send to the defendant my claim will all relevant elaboration of the said claim
and also state the relevance of the evidence that I will present to the court?Can you please tell me what are Civil Evidence Act Notices?
I don't believe I have anything like that to submit.Also , I do not have any witnesses.Again, can this be a letter or do I have to download a specific form?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________3)I was given the order to send to the court by 12th August 'pre-trial' checks,Could you please let me know what are these checks?
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
And finally,4)I was ordered to submit a few days before the trial, a paginated bundle of documents which complies with the
requirements of Rule 39.5 civil procedure rules, and Practice Direction 39A.By 'pegignated' meaning, all filed by kind i.e
Contract
Communications
Bank Statements
etc.All filed in order and designated numerically with an individual page designating what is what
so that the judge can find the evidence fast and efficiently?I am unclear on the Rule 39.5 and Practice direction 39A.Would you be kind enough to tell me what they are so that I don't make a mistake submitting the pegignated buddle?And also, the directions require a case summery and chronology. Can this be written on a normal page or do I need to download a form?It states that, the parties must endeavour to agree the content.Taking under account that the content will be against the defendant there is a good chance that he will not agree
to some of the content, does that mean I cannot submit them?These are the directions I was given,Thank you for your assistance
Hi,With reference to the remaining directions:2. Signed Statements refers to witness statements of people that you intend to call at trial as witnesses. These need to be in a specific format.The Civil Evidence Act Notes refer to the rules of evidence. I will suggest that you look at the rules pertaining to Hearsay. If you do not have any witnesses, it will only be your witness statement.3. Pre-Trial checks refers to a pre-trial checklist which is form which should be completed and filed.4. A paginated bundle refers to a bundle of documents which is numbered and indexed for ease of use.With reference to the CPR Rules, you can find these at the following link:http://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/rulesI hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Kind regards,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your answers,one final question,You wrote:"If you do not have any witnesses, it will only be your witness statement."I do not have any witnesses. In order to submit my witness statement, do I have to download a specific file?
Like the n265 for example?With thanks
Hi,No. The witness statement is not a form. It is a document drafted by yourself and needs to be signed, dated and provide the details upon which you intend to rely.I hope this answers your question. If so, kindly rate the answer and provide feedback.If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.Kind regards,
chatham-chamber, Solicitor
Experience: LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your help,Very much appreciated,You have answered all of my questions,Very best wishes
Your welcome. Good Luck