taratill
taratill, Solicitor
Experience:  15 years experience of advising on employment law matters
32019188

I am presently on the sick with clinical depression and

Customer Question

I am presently on the sick with clinical depression and anxiety together with undergoing cardiac investigation for an enlarged heart. I have a history of clinical depression and this was triggered when my partner left me last November. I went on the sick and returned to work in January. I was not in a good place on my return and my self esteem was low together with my confidence. I had a breakdown in April and my doctor rang my employer and told them I was unable to work in my present state. Since then I have been placed on medication and on the sick. I have seen the occupational health doctor on 2 occasions and she has confirmed that I am not well enough to work in my job and will revue things in a month from now. I was telephoned this morning by my union rep who stated that my senior manager and HR want to have a meeting with me tomorrow and have made reference to the fact that I have posted a couple of pictures of me at a concert on the weekend with my ex partner, who is trying again to work things out with me and bought tickets for my birthday last week. I also have a picture of me with my friends at a charity dinner at a rugby club that they took me to to cheer me up! Can they sack me for this?
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** am a solicitor and I am happy to help you today. How long have you worked there for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I work in a safety critical job as a train guard on the railway for 3 years. Prior to that I was a police sergeant in the metropolitan police for 24 years and was retired on medical grounds for clinical depression following a life changing accident
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since being off on the sick following my breakdown in April I was placed on medication and counselling through my surgery. My doctor does not think I am mentally capable of carrying out my duties in my present role and my employer in 4 weeks has had 2 welfare meetings, which were quite intimidating and tomorrow he wants to question me on my Facebook pictures of myself and my partner.
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Hello, it is my view that it would be unreasonable for your employer to dismiss you for the fact that you have attended social events out of work. If you are suffering from depression and unable to work it does not necessarily mean that it is not appropriate for you attend social events. If you were to be dismissed you would have grounds to appeal and claim unfair dismissal. It may be that they will re-refer to you to occupational health to reassess and see if any adjustments can be put in place for you to return to work. If you have any further questions please do ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would take the time to rate my answer thank you and all the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had an occupational health doctor consultation today with work and she concurred with my GP and said she would review me in a month as she does not feel I am able to go back to work yet
Expert:  taratill replied 1 year ago.
Just calling you.