29905560

I have worked at a 6th form college 10 years. The Support

I have worked at a 6th form college for over 10 years. The Support Staff Managers there(me included) are being asked to voluntarily change our contracts to 3 months notice period from 1 month. Is there anything this will affect other than our notice period?
Denise
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today. Are you happy to accept these changes if there were no other side effects?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
to be honest I am more worried about not accepting them - 6th form colleges are being affected by a lot of change at the moment - there is talk of us becoming an Academy

Is this the notice period that your employer must give you to terminate your employment?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
also what I need to give if I leave

The notice period will not affect anything else in relation to your employment rights. It is treated separately and only affects how long you get before your job is terminated, either by you or the employer. Of course it also means you will get less pay as a notice period as you will only get paid for a month rather than 3 months. It does not affect your rights to redundancy pay, holidays, sick pay, anything else really – all it relates to is what notice you get on termination.

However, when it comes to notice periods on termination, employees are entitled to a minimum notice period by law. This is defined in statute and cannot be overridden by anyone, regardless of whether it is in your contract or not. The statutory minimum notice period you are entitled to on termination is 1 week for every full year of continuous employment with the employer, up to a maximum of 12 weeks. This is the legal minimum you must be given – the employer may choose to give you more than that but they cannot give you less, otherwise they will be breaking the law. They could reduce the notice period that you need to give to a month, but they cannot reduce the notice period they must give to below the minimum.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 8 months ago.

You are welcome, all the best