29905560

Would it be possible business to form an employment contract

Would it be possible for a business to form an employment contract which only offers zero/minimal hours of guaranteed work, that requires the employee to work up to the 48 hour limit, as per the employers full discretion?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 7 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Yes that is entirely possible - usually zero hours contracts can be drafted in a way that the company is not obliged to offer any hours to the worker but is offered, the worker is obliged to accept them. So that would cover the situation you have where you are not expected to offer any work to them but if asked to work to do so for up to 48h

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Many thanks for your prompt and detailed reply.
Unfortunately I haven't found anything online myself, saying that workers/employees on zero hours contracts are obliged to accept work offered, rather the contrary. I don't suppose you have a resource you could link to me, to give an example/further explain what you have answered.
Furthermore, I know this bit wasn't in the original question, but a quick yes or no would be awesome: Is it possible for an employee to have to give a certain amount of notice, and an employer to give a different amount of notice?Thanks

the question on notice - yes, certainly. As long as the employer gives the employee the minimum notice they are requited to by law then the two notice periods can differ. I can supply you with a draft zero hours contract if you would like me to, but unfortunately it will be an additional cost, but not much. I can submit a cost offer for you t consider if you want me to?