29905560

I have used your services before with success. and I am

Customer Question

Good Afternoon,I have used your services before with success. My name is ***** ***** I am still owed almost two months salary (totalling £4200 net) from my last employer dating back to May and June 2015. I then resigned to start a new job as I had not been paid. The Managing Director of this company and I have been in touch via phone and meeting face to face amicably with his promise to pay at the end of the month...or soon...and so on. This has been going on for 12 months. I last met with him last week and ended up paying for lunch! During the meeting he was making promises and then started asking me how much I am clearing each moth and if my wife is earning more than me etc. Have I changed my car and so on. I replied this is irrelevant and I knew what he was getting at. I have now come to the point of requesting a legal letter to pay my outstanding salary. He has had 14 companies that he has wounded up in the past 6 years and I know he has started a new company. Please advise.
Salvatore
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Hi there. How long did you work there for?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you. I maybe slow to reply due to being at work.
I worked at the company from February 2014 to June 2015

No problem at all and thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Many thanks for your patience. Non-payment of wages basically amounts to unlawful deduction from wages, which is made illegal under the Employment Rights Act 1996.

Under law, an employer can only make deductions from, or withhold an employee’s wages in the following circumstances:

{C}· If it is legally allowed (e.g. to deduct tax);

{C}· If it is to recover an earlier overpayment of wages made by the employer;

{C}· If their contract specifically allows for the deductions to be made; or

{C}· If the employee has given their explicit written agreement for the deductions to be made.

If none of the above exemptions apply, the deductions will most likely be unlawful. In order to try and resolve this, the employer should be contacted in writing, advised that this is being treated as unlawful deduction of wages and ask them to pay back the money within 7 days. Advise them that if they fail to pay the money that is owed, legal proceedings could follow.

If the employer does not return the money as requested, the following options are available:

1. Employment Tribunal - the time limit to claim is only 3 months from the date the deductions were made, so you are unfortunately out of time to go down this route

2. County Court – this is an alternative way to claim and the advantage is that the time limit is a much longer 6 years and is usually used if you are out of time to claim in the Tribunal.

Hopefully by warning the employer you are aware of your rights and are not going to hesitate taking further action they will be prompted to reconsider their position and work towards resolving this.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the formal steps you need to follow should you decide to issue a legal claim, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

Thank you. Whenever a dispute arises over money owed by one party to another, the debtor can be pursued through the civil courts for recovery of the debt. As legal action should always be seen as a last resort, there are certain actions that should be taken initially to try and resolve this matter informally and without having to involve the courts. It is recommended that the process follows these steps:

1. Reminder letter – if no reminders have been sent yet, one should be sent first to allow the debtor to voluntarily pay what is due.

2. Letter before action – if informal reminders have been sent but these have been ignored, the debtor must be sent a formal letter asking them to repay the debt, or at least make arrangements for its repayment, within a specified period of time. A reasonable period to demand a response by would be 10 days. They should be advised that if they fail to do contact you in order to resolve this matter, formal legal proceedings will be commenced to recover the debt. This letter serves as a ‘final warning’ and gives the other side the opportunity to resolve this matter without the need for legal action.

3. If they fail to pay or at least make contact to try and resolve this, formal legal proceedings can be initiated. A claim can be commenced online by going to www.moneyclaim.gov.uk. Once the claim form is completed it will be sent to the debtor and they will have a limited time to defend it. If they are aware legal proceedings have commenced it could also prompt them to reconsider their position and perhaps force them to contact you to try and resolve this.

Whatever correspondence is sent, it is always advisable to keep copies and use recorded delivery so that there is proof of delivery and a paper trail. The court may need to refer to these if it gets that far.

can you please confirm the number I think you missed a digit?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Of course...it is ***********

thanks, ***** ***** in 5-10 mins