29905560

We have a satellite office 400 miles from our head office.

Hi, we have a satellite office 400 miles from our head office. We need to make a role redundant there. Can the consultations be done over the phone or do they need to be done in person, face to face.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Has the individual requested this to be done face to face, or are they not aware of the situation as yet?

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, not sure if you saw my initial query above - Has the individual requested this to be done face to face, or are they not aware of the situation as yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi sorry yes I thought I had replied - they are not aware yet

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. There is no legal requirements for consultation meetings to be carried out in person as long as this is done in a meaningful way and the usual topics are discussed (e.g. reasons for redundancy, offers of suitable alternative employment, etc). So it is possible to conduct the consultations over the phone, ensuring you give the employee the opportunity to discuss any issues they may have and in general try to treat the discussions as if they were being carried out in person. But legally, it makes no difference.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you