29905560

How do I not work my full notice period of 3 months

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Please can you briefly tell me why you do not want to work your notice period?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a general manager of a health club and in my contract it's a 3 month notice period. I have another job and I'm preferred to give 5/6 weeks notice but they are not willing to compromise. If I leave what's the worst case scebario
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Managers have left before with no notice or 72 hours. I feel I'm being set a precedent.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. If there is a written contract in place and it contains a specific clause detailing the notice period an employee is supposed to give if they wanted to leave their employment, they will be contractually bound by it. Therefore, if the employee fails to honour this notice period then they will be acting in breach of contract. The employer then has the option of suing the employee to seek compensation for damages resulting from their breach. However, in reality such claims are very rarely made. This is mainly due to the costs and time involved, also the relatively small damages that can be recovered. Also the employer has to show that actual losses have been incurred and often that is not easy to do. So whilst there is no way of predicting whether the employer will take this any further or not, chances are that they will not. A more likely outcome is that the employer refuses to provide a reference in the future or if they do, it could mention that the employee had breached their contract.

It is therefore best to try and negotiate a mutually acceptable notice period that would suit both parties. However, if that is not possible and there is a pressing need to leave early, that is still a possibility, subject to the risks identified above.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the legal position if they were to make a claim against you, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. What would happen if they persist. I have tried to negotiate to 5/6 weeks. What costs could they pursue me for.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. If they try and claim against you then as mentioned they will need to prove that they had suffered the losses they are after. They cannot just claim for some sort of penalty against you – they must be genuine costs suffered as a result of the breach. So they will have to try and justify these. As mentioned these are most commonly the costs associated with getting a replacement, which was necessary to cover you. So commonly it will be the difference between what they would pay you and the replacement.