29905560

My wife is a freelance designer. 3 months ago she agreed to

Customer Question

My wife is a freelance designer. 3 months ago she agreed to start working 3 days a week for a jewellery company. Her usual rate is £300 per day which they tried to negotiate down. They agreed on a rate of £275 per day by offering a 6 month contract.
This was all done in writing via email and the Companies managers words were to the effect of:
"I'm just checking this with the directors" followed by "All agreed here"
The said manager has been ousted at the company and the director now claims to know nothing about the 6 month agreement even though we have it writing in an email.
They did not send a formal contract and the director is now saying they are checking with HR to see if the contract is binding.
What are our rights? If they say that they do not want her to continue could we charge them for the 3 days a week for the next 3 months?
if not as a lower rate was agreed for the longer term could we back date the extra £25 a day she would have charged for the first 3 months already served?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi, can you see my initial query or do I need to resend?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.

Hi there. Sorry for the delay. Was your wife taken on, on a freelance basis or was she taken on as an employee?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Freelance. She's self employed.
The wording was:
"I have just spoken to our Director, our other freelancer was on £250 per day. If we offer you 6 months to start will you get nearer to £250?"
My wife replied that seeing as it was a longer term deal for 6 months she would meet them half way at £275.They replied
"If we could agree the £275 it would be excellent, all agreed here"But she did not sign an actual contract.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you as soon as I can. Please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you