29905560

I have been a volunteer ten years at a club elderly on

I have been a volunteer for almost ten years at a club for the elderly on Wednesdays and in their charity shop on Mondays and Saturdays. Last week I was I was not to attend on Wednesdays and was given no reason. I may continue at the shop. Do I have a right to know why I have been dismissed?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Have you ever been paid for the work that you do, i.e. to cover expenses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was paid a few years ago for running a couple of outings. I am also allowed £6 towards lunch when acting as a volunteer on outings.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK, thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you in a short while. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your questions to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. In terms of the right to be given reasons for dismissal and also to be entitled to protection against unfair dismissal, only employees enjoy such privileges. In effect you need to have been working under a contract of service, an employment contract, and as an employee to be able to enjoy these privileges. As a volunteer you neither have the right to be given reasons for dismissal, nor can you actually challenge the termination. This then becomes a moral argument rather than a legal one – morally one may expect to be told of the reasons for termination, but legally there is no legal obligation to do so and as such the organisation can exercise their discretion not to issue these. It is entirely down to them.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.