29905560

I am a site manager in construction. I have been offered a

I am a site manager in construction. I have been offered a new contract which states that my working hours are to be 40 plus per week. It then states that the hours are to be from 8 until 5. My previous contract stated that my hours were to be from 8 until 4.30.
What are the recognised and legal number of hours that an employee must work when on salary.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Are you the only one affected by these changes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. As far as the limits on working hours are concerned, the only relevant figure is a maximum of an average of 48 hours a week. This means that a worker should not be asked to work more than that average, unless they have opted out of this limit. The average is calculated on a rolling 17 week reference period, so it does mean that in some weeks they can work more than that as long as on average over a 17 week period they do not go over that amount. Also, only working time is included in this and for example travel time to/from work is not considered.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you