29905560

Employed as agency years - 2 colleagues on the same contract

Employed as agency for 20 years - 2 colleagues on the same contract - typing (audio) were released when the work load went down with redundancy pay as the agency were unable to find alternative employment. Our agency have now told me that the assignment is finishing and because the grade I would be on if I were a permanent member of staff is that of Admin I will have to take that although my contract is typist. I will not be offered redundancy because they will find me an admin role. I understand they will have to keep to the rate of pay I am getting at present but they say I can work three months on a lower wage and then get brought up to what I am now getting. I hope this doesn't come across too confusing!
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Employed as agency for 20 years - 2 colleagues on the same contract - typing (audio) were released when the work load went down with redundancy pay as the agency were unable to find alternative employment. Our agency have now told me that the assignment is finishing and because the grade I would beon if I were a permanent member of staff is that of Admin I will have to take that although my contract is typist. I will not be offered redundancy because they will find me an admin role. I understand they will have to keep to the rate of pay I am getting at present but they say I can work three months on a lower wage and then get brought up to what I am now getting. I hope this doesn't come across too confusing!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I stand?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Apologies for the duplicate reply. Having read about your situation, what would be the ideal outcome for you so that I can advise you of your options?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ideal option would be can they change my role of typing audio to admin and as they set a precedent with 2 colleagues should I be offered redundancy.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - much appreciated - just a quick one - am on Tupe transfer since 2000.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all and thank you for letting me know.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. The fact that redundancy has been offered in the past does not set an automatic precedent which states that you must also be made redundant. The law requires an employer to offer employees at risk of redundancy suitable alternative employment (SAE) to try and avoid the need for redundancy.

Therefore, if an employee accepts an offer of SAE, their employment will continue in the new position and they would lose their entitlement to a redundancy payment.

If the offer is considered unsuitable and the employee refuses it, they will be made redundant and still receive redundancy pay. However, if the offer was suitable and the employee unreasonably refuses it, they would effectively be resigning and will lose their entitlement to redundancy pay.

So the main issue is what makes an offer suitable and when can an employee reasonably refuse it. The most common factors that would make an offer unsuitable are:

· Job content/status – drop in status, substantial changes in duties, etc.

· Pay and other benefits – significant drop in earnings/benefits (e.g. basic pay, bonuses, overtime, sick pay, holidays)

· Working hours – change in shift pattern, removal of overtime, extension/reduction of working hours

· Change of workplace – new location making it unreasonable to travel to the new place of work

· Job prospects – going from permanent to temporary work, becoming self-employed or being employed on a fixed-term contract.

Where an offer of alternative employment has been made and its terms and conditions are different to the employee's current terms, they have the right to a 4-week trial period. If during the trial period they decide that the job is not suitable they should tell their employer straight away. This will not affect their employment rights, including the right to receive statutory redundancy pay.

So it is important to consider whether any offer that has been made is suitable or if there are reasonable grounds to treat it as unsuitable and safely reject it, opting for redundancy instead.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the rights you have should you find yourself in a position where you reject the job but the employer does not offer redundancy, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Ben - gives me time to consider my options - thank you so much.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. In terms of constructive dismissal, this occurs when the following two elements are present:

· Serious breach of contract by the employer; and

· An acceptance of that breach by the employee, who in turn treats the contract of employment as at an end. The employee must act in response to the breach and must not delay any action too long.

A common breach by the employer occurs when it, or its employees, have broken the implied contractual term of trust and confidence. The conduct relied on could be a single act, or a series of less serious acts over a period of time, which together could be treated as serious enough (usually culminating in the 'last straw' scenario).

The affected employee would initially be expected to raise a formal grievance in order to officially bring their concerns to the employer's attention and give them an opportunity to try and resolve them. If the issues are so bad that the employee can't even face raising a grievance and going through the process, or if a grievance has been raised but has been unsuccessful, then they can consider resigning straight away.

If resignation appears to be the only option, it must be done without unreasonable delay so as not to give an impression that the employer's breach had been accepted. Any resignation would normally be with immediate effect and without providing any notice period. It is advisable to resign in writing, stating the reasons for the resignation and that this is being treated as constructive dismissal.

Following the resignation, the option of pursuing a claim for constructive dismissal exists. This is only available to employees who have at least 2 years' continuous service. There is a time limit of 3 months from the date of resignation to submit a claim in the employment tribunal.

An alternative way out is to approach the employer on a 'without prejudice' basis (i.e. off the record) to try and discuss the possibility of leaving under a settlement agreement. Under a settlement agreement, the employee gets compensated for leaving the company and in return promises not to make any claims against the employer in the future. It is essentially a clean break, although the employer does not have to agree to it so it will be subject to negotiation. In any event, there is nothing to lose by raising this possibility with them because you cannot be treated detrimentally for suggesting it and it would not be used against you.

Just to make a final, yet important point, that constructive dismissal can be a difficult claim to win as the burden of proof is entirely on the employee to show the required elements of a claim were present. Therefore, it should only be used as a last resort.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.