29905560

I have been made redundant and my employer has not paid me

I have been made redundant and my employer has not paid me for two weeks. I know I can claim this from the government but I have found out they knew before the last weeks work that there was no way they could pay me. Is this legal and should I report them to somebody?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. Are they insolvent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The receivers came on Monday.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

It is not uncommon for employers to know that they are in a dire financial situation but continue operating because there are always chances that something may improve or that the business may be salvaged. So it is highly unlikely that anyone would pay attention to the fact that they knew they could not pay you and still asked you to work. This is really a moral issue rather than a legal one. It does give you the right to claim what you are due so it is a civil matter which can be taken further if necessary. But in terms of reporting them to someone for this, as mentioned it is very unlikely that anyone would do anything with this information or take action against an already insolvent employer – it is not like they can penalise them or issue any other sanctions in the circumstances.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the rights you have to claim this money and the procedure of doing so, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. If an employer becomes insolvent, an employee can issue and pursue legal proceedings against them for any money owed. Whether it is worthwhile suing an insolvent employer is another matter and very much depends on the status of the company and what, if any, money and assets they have left. In most cases, pursuing legal action against the company would be pointless as they are unlikely to be able to satisfy any court judgment against them.

The first step would be to contact the company’s insolvency practitioners (administrator, liquidator, etc.) to check if it is likely for any money or assets to become available for distribution amongst the company's creditors, including their employees.

If it appears unlikely that the company will be able to cover these payments, employees will also have additional rights to claim through the National Insurance Fund (NIF). The following debts, if owed to employees by an insolvent employer, can be recovered from the NIF:

· Up to 8 weeks' arrears of pay (up to the current maximum statutory limit on a week's pay) less basic rate tax and NI contributions.

· Up to 6 weeks' holiday pay (up to the current maximum statutory limit on a week's pay) which accrued in the 12 month period ending on the date of the insolvency, less basic rate tax and NI contributions.

· Statutory notice pay (up to the current maximum statutory limit on a week's pay) less basic rate tax.

· Statutory redundancy payment less any amount already paid by the employer

Any claims in excess of the above limits should be claimed from the insolvent employer in the usual way, such as through the insolvency practitioner or through court.

To be able to claim from the NIF, the following conditions must be met:

· Only employees can claim, therefore the self-employed, agency workers, etc are not covered

· The employer must have been made officially insolvent

· The employee’s employment must have been terminated

Assuming the above criteria have been met, the procedure for claiming requires the application to be made to the Redundancy Payment Office responsible for the employer’s area, by using form RP1. To get a copy of the form and for further details, you can contact the Redundancy Payments Helpline on 0845(###) ###-####