29905560

My partner has been suspend from work over s crimial record,

Customer Question

My partner has been suspend from work over his crimial record, depending on ivestigation. he has to go for a meeting at his work place to hear his side. his work is saying that he can not have anyone with him. is that true???
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 4 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. How long has he worked there for?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has been there for 9 months and pass his 6 month probation period. his police check come though a month ago and he had to write a statement regarding what happened and it was a domestic with me his partner, it looks worst on his criminal record then what it was, its down as battery. he has just had a phone call from his manager telling him his been suspend depending investigation. he has been told that he has to attand a meeting on the 2nd august. but he cant take any one with him. is that true because he dosent feel comfortable going in on his own.

Is this the initial investigatory meeting?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We don't know, they didn't say

Hi there, sorry I was offline when you replied. The legal right for workers to be accompanied at certain meetings in the workplace is dealt with under sections 10-15 of the Employment Relations Act 1999. It states that where a worker is required to attend a disciplinary or grievance hearing and the worker 'reasonably requests' to be accompanied at that hearing, the employer must allow them to be accompanied by a 'single companion’.

The meetings that are covered by this right are:
• Formal disciplinary hearing (any hearing where a warning is to be issued, other disciplinary action is to be taken, or a sanction is confirmed, such as an appeal hearing) - it will include hearings that may lead to dismissal if they are related to misconduct or capability issues
• Formal grievance hearing

There is usually no legal right to be accompanied at an investigatory meeting. However a High Court ruling stated that there may be some circumstances when a companion should be allowed in investigatory meetings if s very serious allegation is being investigated such as when a professional’s fitness to practice is in question or the employer’s decision might seriously affect the employee’s ability to obtain further employment in their field.

Finally, when it comes to the choice of companion, the worker is entitled to be accompanied either by a trade union representative or a workplace colleague. There is no right to be accompanied by family, friends or any legal representatives, such as lawyers.

So you need to check the nature of the meeting first – if it is an investigatory meeting it is very unlikely he would be allowed a companion because this matter is about a pre-existing issue on his criminal record, it is not something which will be treated as so serious that it will create a new record for him that can affect his ability to get work in this field in the future.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the rights he has if he is denied the chance to be accompanied when entitled to by law, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.