29905560

I am just entering a redundancy consultation period and my

I am just entering a redundancy consultation period and my employer has sent my proposed redundancy settlement to another employee in error (I'm not the the only one either).
Is this a breach of Data protection and / or confidentiality? Should this be reported to relevant authorities?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 11 months ago.

Hello are you getting an enhanced redundancy?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, but some people are (in dispute with TSSA union).

Whilst strictly speaking this is a breach of data protection, it will not be viewed as a serious enough breach for the relevant organisations to get involved. Data protection issues are dealt with by the Information Commissioner’s Office and you are of course free to report the employer to them. However, if this was a one off issue and not part of a more widespread and serious breach of policies and procedures on data protection, it is unlikely that they will take it any further. Also in terms of getting compensation, you cannot do so unless you have suffered losses as a result of the breach. Disclosing the redundancy figures to others does not amount to losses for you and it is probably not nice to know that others have seen what you are entitled to but that does not amount to any type of loss for you. Finally, you are also able to raise a formal grievance internally with the employer and they can investigate this and consider whether they need to discipline anyone or change procedures.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you