29905560

Employment Law and writing a letter of termination of

Employment Law and writing a letter of termination of employment of 2 members of staff due to the company loosing a contract
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: Our company is a small call centre employing 6 staff i want to terminate the employment contract of 2 members of staff for financial reasons as the company can no longer sustain the current wage bill due to loseing one of its bigest contracts this is based on these 2 members of staff being the least performing one has been with the company just under a year and the other just over 3 months
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Are any other members of staff going to be affected as a result of this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Short term no medium to long term possibly
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court for the rest of today so will prepare my advice in a while and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
some thing i also havent mentioned is that both members of staff are on zero hours contracts with 1 weeks notice period,Thanks
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

No problem at all and thank you for letting me know. I will get back to you at the earliest opportunity.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

Many thanks for your patience. As both employees have less than 2 years’ service they will not be protected against unfair dismissal. Therefore you would not be required to show that there was a fair reason for their termination or follow a fair procedure. Unless their contracts required you to carry out any specific termination procedure, such as holding meetings with them, you can simply terminate their employment by issuing them notice of termination in writing.

You can use the following template to terminate their employment (the detail in square brackets is just for your information, please replace or remove):

Dear [NAME],

Termination of employment

I am writing to terminate the contract of employment dated [DATE] between [PARTY 1] and [PARTY 2] (the Agreement).

Clause [NUMBER] of the Agreement allows us to terminate the Agreement by issuing you with 1 week’s written notice. Therefore, the Agreement will terminate on [DATE]. As you are working under a zero hours arrangement and not guaranteed any hours at any time, including your notice period, you may not necessarily be asked to work during that time. [You can of course tell them that they will be needed during that period so try and specify if you can]

Thank you for your time and efforts whilst working with [Company name].

Yours faithfully,

[NAME]

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank your for your assistance and speedy response in helping me resolve my issue.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome