29905560

Redundancy. We have two individuals working on account and

Customer Question

Redundancy. We have two individuals working on account and the customer has asked if we can reduce the headcount by one as work has reduced and the they cant afford to have two people working on the account. We have looked at the individuals and neither have been absent, disciplined or performance managed during their 5 yr employment therefore I am struggling to justify which individual should go. We consulted with them both two weeks ago and asked if they wished to volunteer. No one has come forward so this week we need to be making a decision, how it what concerns me currently. Can you advise ?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 months ago.

Hello what other factos can you consider, for example performance like appraisals history, is that possible?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Unfortunately both individuals are on a par. We had a request from the customer naming a individual they wish to go however it has never been lodged as on official complaint and therefore not raised with the individual as any form of warning. So they both currently measure the same.

Thank you. To be honest it is down to the employer to decide what criteria they want to apply when selecting who will be made redundant. You simply must ensure that the criteria is fair and, as far as possible, objective, so not based on personal opinion or be discriminatory. Whilst some employers decide to adopt a scoring matrix based on certain criteria, others simply ask the employees to apply for the available jobs and basically make it into a competitive recruitment process, with the best performing employee being selected to remain in a role. So if you cannot decide on the criteria to include in a scoring matrix, you could just run a competitive recruitment process for the available positions, perhaps have some sort of scoring for this process and see who does best, ***** ***** decision in that way.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.