29905560

We currently have an employee who is about to embark on term

We currently have an employee who is about to embark on long term sick leave. We pay on a monthly basis for example she is paid £51.12 per day for five days x 52/12= £1107.60 per month. Our employee will be paid for two weeks at normal pay this month and then SSP for the rest. My question is how do i impiment the SSP which is paid on a weekly basis when our monthly salaries are not paid weekly. Sorry but it is confusing!
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

How long has the employee been working there?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
10 years we paid her one weeks full pay for her first week of sickness then put her on SSP

Hi there and thank you for your response. I will review the relevant information and laws and will get back to you in a short while. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not responded to this message as it will just push your questions to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Many thanks for your patience. If someone is off sick and entitled to SSP then they are entitled to be paid the SSP rate in the same way as they get their normal wages. You can get confirmation from this here:

https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/what-youll-get

As you can see it states that “SSP is paid by your employer in the same way as your normal wages, eg weekly or monthly.”

Therefore, if the employee in question is paid monthly, they will accrue their SSP entitlement over the days/weeks they are off and this will be paid in the same way as their usual pay. So if they get paid monthly, they will get the accrued entitlement for the past month at the time they would normally get paid, i.e. monthly. Whilst they accrue SSP on a weekly basis, this can be paid monthly if that is how you usually pay them.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'