29905560

I have a question about employment law - is there a fee for

Customer Question

Hi, I have a question about employment law - is there a fee for this service?
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: I have worked for this company for 10 years but I nowwant to move on to further my career - there are no progression routes here for me. My question is, would I be foolish to let my boss know I am looking for another job? I don't want to be sneaking around and making up excuses for time off to attend interviews. I have used all my annual leave entitlement, so have few options other than calling in sick which I don't want to do. But can my employer sack me or terminate my employment if he knows I am wanting to move on?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Ben, thank you I will really appreciate your help with this

Have you mentioned career progression to your employer before?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, but he is aware I am currently halfway through ACCA qualification and he has said to me previously that when the time comes I want to move on, he would rather I let him know, but I just want to protect myself as this was only verbal and nobody else was witness to the conversation
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't want to be deceptive, but equally I don't want to let him know my intentions if it could potentially damage my employment here, especially if I don't find another job that quickly

OK thank you, ***** ***** it with me. I am in court today so will prepare my advice during the day and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Ben, I look forward to your reply

No problem at all

Many thanks for your patience. As you have been working the for more than 2 years you will be protected against unfair dismissal. This means that to legally dismiss you the employer has to show the was a fair reason for doing so and also follow a fair procedure. Just because you are looking for other employment does not allow an employer to dismiss you. When that could become an issue is if you take unauthorised absence from work or call in sick when you are not actually sick. These could amount to misconduct and allow the employer to discipline you and in more serious cases, even dismiss you. However, if you do not falsify sick leave, do not search for jobs in your employer’s time or using their equipment and do everything in your own time and attend any interviews on days off, then there would be no issues. Just be aware though that even if you are honest with the employer about your plans, there is no obligation on them to allow you time off to attend interviews. So it could be that you do the right thong and tell them and whilst they cannot dismiss you, they do not allow you time off to attend interviews and you are kind of stuck. You know the employer better so you can decide if they are likely to do that or not but just bear it in mind.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Experience: Qualified Employment Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your help Ben. I have decided to ask my boss for a meeting and I will let him know of my plans. I will be keeping a diary of events just in case anything untowards occurs once he is aware of my wish to find another job.

Ok good plan, if you need any further assistance do not hesitate to get back to me, thanks