29905560

My work is making me work less than 11 hours in between

Customer Question

My work is making me work less than 11 hours in between shift only 8 hours.
I'm getting only 3 hours sleep then getting disciplinary for being late
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today. How long have you worked there for and what type of work do you do?

As I am going offine shortly I may not be able to reply until tomorrow morning, thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I work in morrisons and on the meat department always using knifes and stuff i wake up feeling very tired, I've worked there for just a year now.

Hi there, thanks for your patience. Under Reg 10(1) of the Working Time Regulations, workers have the right to uninterrupted daily rest of 11 hours between shifts. Some workers are exempt from this but you are not automatically excluded if you work in a supermarket so this should still apply to you.

However, the law does allow employers, in limited circumstances, to require certain workers to work during periods that would otherwise be a rest period, for example if:

· The worker is a shift worker changing shifts, such as from days to nights, which prevent the taking of a full daily or weekly rest period

· There is a collective or workforce agreement varying the entitlement to rest periods

In these circumstances the worker may get less than their legal entitlement as long as they are given compensatory rest later on, for example the next day or at some point that week.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the options you have to challenge this, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Please let me know if this has answered your original question and if you need me to discuss the next steps in more detail? In the meantime please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 starts from the top of the page. The question will not close and I can continue with my advice as discussed. Thank you

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.