29905560

My employer wants to know my holiday destinations details.

Customer Question

my employer wants to know my holiday destinations details.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Is your question whether he can demand this information?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Whilst here is nothing stopping the employer from asking you for such information you do not have to give it to them. The granting of a holiday request is not dependent on you providing the employer with details of what your plans for the requested holidays is. However, the employer still has the legal right to reject a holiday request as long as they have given you sufficient notice as per the legal requirements required of them. So if the request has not yet been granted it can potentially be refused, for example if they do not want to grant it before they know of your plans. If the request has been granted then they cannot cancel that.

This is your basic legal position. I have more detailed advice for you in terms of the legal right to reject a request and the notice they must give, which I wish to discuss so please take a second to leave a positive rating for the service so far (by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars) and I can continue with that and answer any further questions you may have. Don’t worry, there is no extra cost and leaving a rating will not close the question and we can continue this discussion. Thank you

Thank you. Has the holiday already been granted?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it has, its really not a major concern but it just feels controlling during my free time and I've never gave them concern about not returning to work after leave.
I'm curious about the legalities of it all

ok if granted they cannot really cancel it now and as mentioned whilst they can ask about your holiday plans it is entirely up to you whether you share these with them

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** very satisfied with your advice

thank you and all the best