29905560

Thank you for your response. HPV has sadly affected me as

Customer Question

Hello there. Thank you for your response. HPV has sadly affected me as its lead to other issues including more abnormal smear tests ..servere anemia and now a painful cyst. Would this constitute a low level of disability. Would the fear of it coming back (cervical cancer) also add to the effects of HPV? The met police are trying so hard to sweep this under the carpet even at the greviance level there are many fallings like getting a senior officer who is involved with the case to act as an "impartial informal resolver" many thanks.. i think met police are saying if our human resourses unit determine HapV to be a disability then it but i dont know where the law would stand on this please? Kindest regards
Caron
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 10 months ago.

Hi there, unless you have a formal cancer diagnosis, to prove you have a disability you need to satisfy the criteria laid down in law.

In the legal sense of the word, disability can have a broad meaning and there is no single list of medical conditions that qualify. Instead, to establish whether a person is disabled, they need to show that they meet the legal definition of a ‘disability’.

The Equality Act 2010 defines a disability as a “physical or mental impairment that has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on a person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities”.

I will break this definition down:

• Physical or mental impairment – this can include nearly any medical condition;
  • Substantial effect – the effect must be more than minor or trivial;
  • Long-term - the effect of the impairment must either have lasted or be likely to last for at least 12 months;
  • Normal day-to-day activities – these could include anything considered ‘normal’ in a person's normal daily routine (e.g. walking, driving, speaking, eating, washing, etc.)

If a person satisfies the above criteria, they will be classified as being disabled and will have automatic protection against discrimination, which means that they must not be treated unfavourably because of their disability. In addition, their employer would have a duty to make reasonable adjustments if they are likely to be placed at a substantial disadvantage when compared to non-disabled employees.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. If this has answered your question please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars from the top of the page. I spend a lot of time and effort answering individual queries and I am not credited for my time until you leave your rating. If you still need further help please get back to me on here and I will assist as best as I can. Many thanks.

Hello, do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the above response? Look forward to hearing from you.